Thursday, May 09, 2013

How to Make Pillow Cases

I am always redecorating or rearranging things at home. I get bored quickly and when my house looks different, I feel like a new person. So I am changing the color scheme in my living room and updating a few things. One of which are my new pillows! I was looking online for some chevron pillows when I came across yellow ones. I immediately knew what color I wanted to bring out. I shopped everywhere looking for a good deal on new pillows but you could easily spend $20 - $30 on just 2 pillows! So I decided to make my own pillow cases. I found this website (FABRIC) that sold my yellow chevron fabric for $7! It was on sale that day but they have amazing deals. So I am going to show you step by step how to make pillows and save a ton of money updating your space!

TOOLS 


Step One
Place down the fabric on the floor with the pretty part facing in. Make sure you fold it so you measure the front and back of the pillow. Then you want to place the pillow over the fabric and measure the pillow with the measuring tape. If you do not have a measuring tape and your using a flat ruler, make sure you cut at least 1 inch of extra fabric per side. Mark on the fabric with a pencil the end points and then use your meter stick to draw a straight line tracing around the pillow. Now you can cut both pieces of fabric. If you have fabric clips it holds the fabric together and makes it easier for you to cut.


Step Two
So now with the fabric (pretty side still facing in) sew 3 sides. Preferably with a sewing machine for faster results. Here is a video with instructions for a sewing machine. After you sew the 3 sides pull the pillow case inside out and put the pillow inside. Now fold in the fabric and put a safety pin in the middle and end farthest from the machine to make closing up the pillow easier. Without the safety pins it makes it extremely difficult to hold the pillow straight while holding the fabric in place. The pins help secure your folds but go slowly so you have time to take the pins out. 


Final Product
It only took me about an hour to make 5 pillows. And I only spent $25 for my fabric and shipping. I saved about $30 on pillows and I made my apartment modern and bright. My next project is this old dresser my mother in law gave me. I'm painting it yellow this weekend and I can't wait to show you guys. I am also going to film the project. 



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...